“You are nothing without your eyes, take care of them”
Vitreoretina department of MMJEI is one of the oldest in the state catering to the needs of the patients who are suffering from retinal pathology since the early 80s. This department is headed by Dr. A. S. Guruprasad the first vitreoretinal specialist in the region. It is well equipped with state of the art, ultra-modern high-end equipment.
Services offered include:
- Thorough retinal evaluation and screening for Diabetic retinopathy, Hypertensive retinopathy, Age-related macular degeneration (ARMD) etc..
- ROP Screening for premature babies with Retcam imaging.
- Fundus camera – to capture images of retina,
- Heidelberg Spectralis OCT machine(HRA-2) – High resolution scanning machine for the retina
- B-Scan & UBM – ultrasound imaging of the eye,
- Fundus Fluorescein Angiography (FFA) and Indocyanine Green Chorioangiography (ICG) – to carefully study the retinal circulation and other pathologies,
- Electrophysiological tests –
ERG – Electroretinography & VEP – to measure the electrical responses of various cell types in the retina.
- Surgery for complex retinal detachments and macular surgery(Hole, ERM etc) the latest technique and technology – Ngenuity 3D visualization system – Digitally assisted Vitreoretina surgery (DAVS),
- ZEISS Lumera 700 with integrated i–OCT,
- All types of laser procedures such as for Diabetic retinopathy, retinal degeneration and holes, ROP, Vein occlusion etc. Multi spot & Micropulse laser.
- Intravitreal injections (Anti VEGF, steroids/OZURDEX, Antibiotics/antifungals).
- Special IOL implantation methods(SFIOL/IRIS CLAW/ANIRIDIC SFIOL/ SULCUS IOL)
This department has excellent coordination and adequate hands to decrease the waiting time of the patients This department also conducts long term fellowship program in sub-specialty and has produced excellent and successful fellows under the guidance of Dr. A. S. Guruprasad & Dr. Shrinivas M. Joshi.
It has 6 postS MS / DNB residents at any given time. The fellowship is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka.
What are the symptoms of a retinal disease?
- Flashes of light.
- Thw Sudden or gradual decrease in vision.
- Night Blindness.
- Loss of field of vision.
- Objects appearing distorted (Metamorphopsia).
Problems Associated with Vitreo-Retina
Various pathologies are affecting the retina most common ones are listed below:
Age-Related Macular Degeneration –
The damage of Macula can cause AMD which can lead to permanent vision loss.
Diabetic Retinopathy –
It is one of the most common eye issues associated with people having diabetes. High blood sugar levels cause damage to the blood vessels of the retina and damage it. In advanced stages, it can lead to blindness.
Hypertensive Retinopathy –
It is the retinal vascular damage caused by increased blood pressure.
Retinal Detachment –
It is mainly the detachment of the retina from the layer underneath. If it is not taken care of properly, there is a chance of permanent vision loss.
Retinopathy Of Prematurity (RoP) –
RoP is mainly caused due to the retinal blood vessels develop abnormally and affects prematurely born babies. It can also lead to retinal detachment and blindness.
Vitreo-Retina Surgeons & Specialists
At MMJoshi Eye Institute, we have some of the best Retina surgeons in Karnataka who are highly experienced and take complete care of you and your loved ones.